How to Prevent Fleas & Ticks on Your Pet and in Your Home

Fleas and ticks are the bane of every pet’s (and owner’s) life. These teeny, tiny little parasites can cause all manner of discomfort and illness for dogs, cats and humans alike. Keeping up with a regular schedule of flea and tick treatment for your pet is a good start, but what about also keeping your home free of these troublesome intruders?

According to research, only 5% of a flea and tick problem is visible on your pet, which means the other 95% is in your pet’s home environment in the form of eggs, larvae and pupae (cocoons) – gross! These little nasties can hide in the fibre of your carpets, under furniture, and in your pet’s bed.

Here are some easy ways to help you keep your pet and your home parasite-free:

  1. Regularly treat all your pets with a suitable product, such as new ‘double action’ FRONTLINE® Plus. It not only kills fleas and ticks on your pet, it also contains an additional active ingredient that stops flea eggs from hatching and larvae developing in your home. FRONTLINE Plus is available for both dogs and cats, in a range of different dosages to suit every size pet. Apply every 4 weeks to help protect your pets from fleas and ticks.*
  2. Wash your pet’s bedding regularly, including both the cover and the inner cushion where fleas can be hiding deep in the fibre. Use hot water where possible (if the washing instruction allow without damaging the bed).
  3. Wash your pet’s soft toys in hot water to kill any nasties that can also be lurking there.
  4. Vacuum your whole house thoroughly – both hard flooring and carpets, especially in dark places where these little pests love to hide, like under beds, rugs and sofas.
  5. Flea eggs and cocoons can also be brought into your house from the garden and outdoor in general. Cesar’s Way recommends keeping your garden as tidy as possible and hanging doormats in the direct sunlight every now and then to kill fleas that are just waiting to get inside.

frontlineplushouseovers_010-copy

If you are interested in finding out more about how FRONTLINE Plus can help protect both your pet and your home, FRONTLINE are currently on a roadshow around the country with their FRONTLINE Plus House. Do come along! They have fully qualified veterinary professionals on hand to offer expert advice on flea and tick protection. You can also explore the House and take part in a flea and tick fact hunt. By doing so or sharing photos on social media (with hashtag #fleaticktour), you can receive instant rewards through a ‘lucky dip’. And by signing up to the free FRONTLINE treatment reminders you have a chance to WIN a £1,500 pet-friendly Forest Holiday or one of five pet photo shoots worth £500!**

Upcoming dates include:

  • Discover Dogs, London – 22nd-23rd October
  • National Pet Show, Birmingham – 5th-6th November

This post is sponsored by FRONTLINE®.

*Efficacy against ticks for up to 4 weeks in dogs and up to 2 weeks in cats. Minimum treatment interval is 4 weeks.

FRONTLINE® Plus contains fipronil and (S)-methoprene. Legal category: NFA-VPS (UK). FRONTLINE® is a registered trademark of Merial. For further information refer to the datasheet or contact Merial Animal Health Ltd, CM19 5TG, UK. ©Merial Ltd 2016. All rights reserved.

Use medicines responsibly

Sara is the Founder & Editor of StyleTails. A writer, design-lover and long-time animal-hugger, Sara launched StyleTails in 2012 to inspire people live a more beautiful life with their four-legged friends. Along with her canine sidekick George, a rescue Yorkie with a big attitude, Sara regularly commentates on luxury pet product and lifestyle trends and has been featured in Elle Decoration, BBC Radio, and is also an expert contributor to WGSN, the leading design trend forecaster.

Be first to comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.