Fashionable foodie, author and pop-up restauranteur, Anna Barnett Cooks (you may remember Anna and her dashing dog Ted profiled as one of our previous Style Tailors), combines her obsession for cooking and love for canines. Anna shares a favourite recipe for healthy tuna dog treats – inspired by her Kerry Blue Terrier, Ted!
Preparation / Cooking time – 20mins
Feeds 1 Dog for 1-2 wks
- 1 x Tin of Tuna (non sunflower oil option – Spring water or brine is ideal)
- 2 x Handfuls of fresh spinach – Lightly wilted and finely chopped
- 200g of wholemeal flour
- 1 x Handful of parsley – Finely chopped
- 1 x Medium free range egg
- Start by adding the washed spinach to a pan with a dash of water and cook on a medium heat until the leaves start to wilt. Remove from the heat, finely chop them and leave to cool.
- Drain the tin of tuna and add the finely sliced parsley and cold spinach before adding the flour and egg.
- Combine it all until it all comes together in a ball. At this stage you may need to add some more flour if the mixture’s still sticky as it makes for a tricky task when trying to cut out your bone shaped biscuits.
- Once you have the mixture in a non sticky ball, flatten it out with the palm of your hands or a rolling pin and proceed to cut out your dog treats.
- If you’re lucky enough to have a bone shaped cutter then this is ideal, if not just cut them into bite-size cubes or chip-like pieces.
- Bake on baking paper for 15-20mins until crisp and golden. Leave to cool and store in a air tight container and probably for good measure keep them in the fridge.
- Allow between 2-4 per day as a treat depending on what else you’re feeding your pooch.
You can check out more of Anna’s foodie feasts and buy her book at annabarnettcooks.com.