Philippa Hadfield and her beautiful Basset Hound puppy, Edna from foodie dog blog Edna Loves, share a delicious and super-easy recipe for Berry Oat Valentine’s Dog Treats.
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and I didn’t want to leave Edna out of the celebrations, so I decided to make her some healthy heart shaped dog treats. This dog treat recipe is REALLY simple – it’s essentially just old-fashioned oats mixed with blueberries and raspberries. Anyone can make it!
- 1/2 cup of fresh raspberries
- 1/2 cup of fresh blueberries
- Up to 2 cups of old fashioned oats
- Heart shaped cutter
- Mash the raspberries in a pestle and mortar or alternatively in a bowl with a spoon or rolling pin.
- Do the same with the blueberries in a different bowl – the mixtures should remain separate.
- Gradually add oats to each separate fruit mixture. Keep adding the oats until you’re happy with the texture. The raspberry mixture should be raspberry coloured throughout, and moist but firm. The blueberry mixture should be the same but blueberry coloured.
- Place greaseproof paper onto a baking tray.
- Take the heart shaped cutter and place on the baking tray. Take a teaspoon of the blueberry mixture and place in the heart shaped cutter and fill half way.
- Take a teaspoon of the raspberry mixture and place in the heart shaped cutter so it fills to the top.
- Gently pull the cutter off the mixture. Do this until you’ve used all the mixture.
- Place in the oven (which should be preheated to gas mark 5) for 20-25 minutes.
- Leave them to cool and serve to your favourite pooch.
Are you planning to make some special treats for your pet this Valentine’s Day? Tell us in the comments below!