Pancakes are the ultimate weekend breakfast indulgence – but if you can’t stand those puppy dog eyes staring up at you while you tuck into your stack, we have just the treat for your peckish pooch!
Breakfast blogger Tina Jui from The Worktop shares her delicious recipe for buttermilk and peanut butter dog pancakes with fresh strawberries. Made with buckwheat flour and gluten free for dogs with intolerances, these are a lip smackingly good treat!
For the pancakes
- 1 medium egg
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons (160 grams) buttermilk
- 2 tablespoon all-natural peanut butter (unsalted), room temperature
- ½ cup (70 grams) buckwheat flour
- 2 tablespoons (20 grams) quick-cook polenta
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2-3 tablespoons water, as needed
- oil, for cooking, as needed
For the peanut butter drizzle
- 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon of warm water
- strawberries, washed, hulled and chopped
To make the pancakes
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg. Mix in the buttermilk and peanut butter. Mix in the buckwheat flour, polenta and baking powder. The batter should be thick, but be able to drizzle off a spoon very slowly. Add water by the tablespoon, if needed (the consistency of your batter will depend on your brand of buttermilk and peanut butter). Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Heat a griddle to medium heat. Add a bit of oil to the griddle if needed to prevent the pancakes from sticking. Drop the pancake batter on the griddle. If using a dog bone cookie cutter, quickly use a spoon to spread the batter out into a rectangular shape that will fit your dog bone cookie cutter. Cook for about 2 minutes, until the underside is golden brown. Flip and cook for an additional minute, until both sides are golden brown.
- Cut each pancake with a dog bone cookie cutter, if using.
To make the peanut butter drizzle
- Mix 2 tablespoons of peanut butter with 1 tablespoon of water. Depending on your brand of peanut butter, you may need to slightly adjust the amount of water to get a runny consistency.
- Top pancakes with peanut butter drizzle and fresh strawberries.