Virgin Atlantic celebrates 10 years of jetting pets off to far flung destinations with its Flying Paws scheme.
Since launching it’s Flying Paws scheme in 2003, the world’s most glamorous airline, Virgin Atlantic has flown over 15,000 jet-setting pets to destinations from Cape Town to Los Angeles and even down under to Sydney.
Counting numerous famous faces as pet passengers including everyone’s favourite canine of film, Uggie, as well as and Mugly, who flew off to the US to collect his coveted World’s Ugliest Dog crown, Virgin know a thing or two about making sure a pampered pets arrive safely and securely.
Entertainer John Barrowman also relies on Virgin Atlantic’s pet cargo service for his beloved pooches. “My dogs are part of my family so when work takes me to America, as it does regularly, I want my family with me. I trust Virgin Atlantic with my dogs, Captain Jack, a Jack Russell, and Harris, a Cocker Spaniel,” he says.
From Siamese cats to Siberian Huskies, pussies and pooches of all shapes and sizes have travelled cargo to all corners of the globe with Flying Paws. “Since the introduction of the Pet Travel Scheme in 2003, we have quite literally taken the lead in providing a pedigree service for our furry friends and we are seeing more and more passengers trusting us with their precious cargo,” says John Lloyd, Director of Cargo at Virgin Atlantic.
To celebrate 10 years at taking four-legged furballs to the skies, Virgin Atlantic are offering owners extra miles in their Flying Club account every time they transport their pet and cats and dogs will also be treated to some specially created birthday food to enjoy whilst they fly.
We have also asked Virgin Atlantic to share their top 5 tips for safe and stress-free travel with pets:
- Make sure you have a correct IATA approved travelling cage to give pets plenty of room and make for a more comfortable flight.
- Ensure your pet is used to the travelling cage – let them play in it and sleep in it before the trip
- Give your pet lots of blankets and put in a few of their favourite toys for the journey
- Don’t sedate your pet – keep them calm through cuddles and a comfortable environment
- Remove all collars and leads for the journey – this makes them more comfortable and makes sure they won’t get caught on anything
For more information visit: www.virgin-atlantic.com