To help protect both you and your playful pup this Spring, StyleTails brings you 10 things you need to know about parasites this spring:
The approaching warmer weather (it’s coming!) means lots of lovely long walks with your faithful friend and frolicking through fields and rolling in grass. Unfortunately, it also means those pesky little parasites – ticks, are also out in force with the sole mission of making your dog’s life a misery. Here’s 10 things you need to know about these crafty critters.
1. Ticks are blood sucking parasites that latch onto their host, feeding until they’ve had their fill – charming!
2. Changing weather and relaxed rules around pets travelling into the UK means that numbers of these nasty nippers are on the increase.
3. Ticks are attracted to warmth and motion which is why our frisky friends are often their target.
4. They lurk in grassy areas waiting for their next meal – but don’t think you’re out of the woods (pardon the pun) if you live in the city as they can be found in urban areas too.
5. Terrible ticks like to nestle into warm spots around the ears, legs and tummy.
6. Once a tick attaches to your pup, they can feed for several hours or even days, leading to itching, irritation and inflammation. Ouch.
7. Aside from being pretty yucky and awfully itchy, ticks also carry diseases including Lyme disease, which affects both people and animals.
8. To help keep your pooch tick-free, check them daily during the Spring and Summer months by running your fingers through their fur to feel any small bumps. Make sure you check between their toes, under armpits and behind ears.
9. You can protect your pup from ticks by applying a treatment like Fontline’s Spot On which will both prevent and treat for ticks.
10. If you find a tick on your dog, remove it with tick hook which gets rid of the little critter without squeezing nasties back into your dog.
Has your dog had ticks before? How do you protect your dog from ticks? Tell us in the comments below.
*This post is sponsored by Frontline