To get you into the full festive swing, we’ve asked Serena Faber Nelson from Pretty Fluffy to share a delicious recipe for home-baked Gingerbread Men doggy treats from their recently released (and wondrous!) eBook, 52 Weeks of Treats. Nom, nom, nom………
I’m so delighted to be guest posting on StyleTails today sharing one of my favourite recipes from Pretty Fluffy’s new eBook ’52 Weeks of Treats. Simple & Healthy Recipes for Every Season’. The inspiration for this book came over twelve months ago when my own dog of 11 years, Soda, suffered from digestive problems that led me to baking more of my own dog treats at home.
Time poor, health conscious and with a picky taste tester, I embarked into the world of treats, trialing and creating my own recipes. There were a number of kitchen fails, but also a lot of successes. As Soda grew better, I kept making her treats, feeling confident in the knowledge she was consuming fresh, healthy and tasty produce.
The idea behind ’52 Weeks of Treats’ is simple. There are 52 weeks in the year and this book has 26 recipes – one for each fortnight. With recipes for each season – including a seperate section for Birthdays and Special Occasssions, our main aim was to make our recipes simple and stylish. Simple – in the fact that they are easy and quick to make; and stylish – in the fact that we wanted these recipes to produce beautiful, yummy treats your dog will be sure to love.
Here’s on of our favourite picks from the book just in time for the silly season…
GINGERBREAD MEN from ’52 Weeks of Treats’ by Serena Faber Nelson with Sarah Dickerson
Festive cheer for your ‘Naughty or Nice’ Pup!
3 Cups Wholemeal Flour
½ Teaspoon Cinnamon
½ Teaspoon Ground Cloves
1 Tablespoon finely chopped Ginger
1 and ¼ Cups Water
¼ Cup Olive Oil
½ Cup Molasses
2 Tablespoons Honey
- Pre-heat oven to 180 Degrees Celsius (350F). Line a flat baking tray with baking paper.
- Get two large bowls. In one bowl combine ¾ cup water, olive oil, molasses and honey. In the second bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, cloves and finely chopped ginger.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet. Mix until all are combined. Slowly add the remaining ½ cup of water until the mixture forms a dough. Discard remaining water.
- Divide the dough into two, wrap and refrigerate for minimum 3.5 hours.
- Once chilled, remove dough from refrigerator and roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Use a Gingerbread Cookie Cutter to cut out the biscuits. Place on a flat tray lined with baking paper. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden. Place on a baking rack to cool, then serve.
HANDY HINT: Once the biscuits are cooled you can decorate with drizzled carob or melted yoghurt drops if desired.
Makes approximately 20 Gingerbread Men.
For more recipes, handy hints and unique shopping + allergy guides you can buy your own copy of ’52 Week of Treats’ here.
Thanks so much to Style Tails for having me today!
Serena Faber Nelson